POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : a question concerning normals : Re: a question concerning normals Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a question concerning normals
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 24 Dec 2000 17:55:01
Message: <3a467ec5@news.povray.org>
Jonathan Rafael Ghiglia <j.l### [at] liberoit> wrote:
> What's the difference between the float value which follows the
> pattern type (inside a normal statement) and the bump_size value?
> Which one should I play with in order to control the amount of
> perturbation? Can I set an accuracy value for normal patterns
> (to get better results with patterns which are not likely to be used
> as normal patterns)?

Specifying a float after the pattern name is simply a shortcut for
specifying a bump_size value - there is no difference in the rendering, and
either can be used to control the amount of perturbation.

As for accuracy, this is generally determined only by the rendering
resolution - all POV-Ray's internal patterns are algorithmic, and can be
scaled to any reasonable size without degradation (barring precision limits,
and a small bug with the current implementation of "noisy" patterns).

Level of detail becomes important with image based patterns (i.e. bump_map),
for which POV-Ray offers the interpolation feature, and turbulence that you
add to patterns.  With turbulence the detail is determined by the settings
you use - generally, increasing the octaves value should add extra, smaller
perturbations which you might want if viewing a pattern very closely.